Friday, November 28, 2014

Homemade Sweet Potato Casserole

Hello, everyone! I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving. I don't know about you, but one of my favorite things to eat at Thanksgiving is sweet potato casserole. I have never known a Thanksgiving meal without it. This year I got to make it for the first time. I cooked it in the crock pot, and it makes things so much easier when you have a lot of other things to prepare. I will be doing this again in the future. These were delicious! I must say, it is really hard to get an attractive picture of sweet potatoes! (Especially when you can't get a picture of them before most of them are eaten!)

Sweet Potato Casserole

4 cans sweet potatoes (29 oz.), drained
2 cans pumpkin
2/3 cup melted butter
1 cup sugar
6 Tablespoons brown sugar
4 eggs, slightly beaten
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts, optional
2 bags mini marshmallows 

In a crock pot, mash the sweet potatoes until there are no more lumps left. Mix in the pumpkin. 
Add each of the other ingredients in order, mixing well after each addition. 
Cook the sweet potatoes in the crock pot on high for about 2-3 hours. 
If you want, you can sprinkle a walnut/brown sugar strudel on top, or what I did was transfer it to a large baking dish and sprinkle the marshmallows on top. Bake it at 350* for 5-7 minutes, or until the marshmallows are toasted and brown. Enjoy! 

1 comment:

  1. My siblings and I always ask for my Aunt to make this on Thanksgiving. Only.. it doesn't have any pumpkin. So good!!!!!!! I'm glad to see someone else who likes it. ~Abby

    ReplyDelete