Monday, September 30, 2013

Chunky Apple Cider Cake

Hello again!  I recently went apple picking with my mom, brother, and grandma.  We had a few adventures, but ended up with a large box of big, beautiful apples.  I'll tell you some of the adventures, but you all have to promise to not laugh too hard, ok?  

The first adventure was actually more comical, but scared us all a little at first.  My grandma and little brother were walking ahead to see if there were any apple trees that would be easier to pick from.  All the sudden, my mother and I heard my grandma say, "Woah!" We looked up to see my grandma tumble to the ground!  We rushed over and were relieved to see her laughing and trying clumsily to get up.  I asked what happened and she said that she had slipped on the apples that had been falling from the tree!  It was very funny to see her laughing so hard, and we all joined in shortly after.  I will save the other story for after today's recipe, so you will just have to be a little patient.


Chunky Apple Cider Cake
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup apple cider
3 cups sliced or diced apples
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder

Directions

Heat oven to 350*.  Grease an 8 by 8 baking dish.

In a large mixing bowl, combine first six ingredients. In a small bowl, combine remaining spices, flour, and powder. Add dry ingredients to apple mixture, stirring just until combined.   The batter will be thick.  Spread the batter into the prepared baking dish. (At this point I topped my cake with additional apple slices and a sprinkling of raw sugar).

Bake for 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.



I hope you all enjoy this scrumptious cake as much as I did!   Lastly, I didn't forget about the other story I promised you!  My little brother had had just about enough of the day.  He was getting grouchy and upset, because he couldn't reach to many apples.  As he jumped to get an apple, he missed, and grabbed the leaves.  He accidentally ripped off the leaves instead.  When he decided he would have one more go, the tree decided to take revenge.  When the little guy gathered himself for one more mighty leap, the tree dropped an apple on him.  The poor little man had been looking up.  Vengefully, the tree pegged him right in the face.  Come to think of it, he never did get the apple he wanted.  I hope you all enjoyed these stories! 

No comments:

Post a Comment