Friday, September 13, 2013

Zebra Cake

Hello everybody!  This past week I was asked to make a cake friend's little sister's birthday.  I decided to do something completely un-traditional.  I was going to put  zebra stripes on the outside AND inside of the cake!  I am going to give you a link to the blog I found the recipe on, but I will also give you the recipe for the chocolate mousse I used to fill in between the cakes.  It is amazing!



The mousse was everybody's favorite!  

Chocolate Mousse

2 cups chocolate chips
1/3 cup boiling water
3 cups whipping cream
1/2 cup confectioners sugar

Directions

Place chocolate chips in a food processor, and grind 1 to 2 minutes until almost finely ground-but not too fine.  Continue processing while adding boiling water to melt chocolate until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes.


In a metal bowl, whip whipping cream and powdered sugar until stiff.  Fold about one third of whipping cream briskly into melted chocolate.  Then fold remaining whipping cream, in dollops, gently into chocolate.  Chill 1 to 3 hours or overnight.



This was a hit with the little girl who I made it for.  She loved the unexpected stripes on the inside!  It was delicious!  Oh, I almost forgot, did you see the zebra stripes on the outside?  It is zebra sugar paper.  It can be found at Hobby Lobby.

1 comment: