Friday, November 8, 2013

Pheasant Pot Pie

Hello!  I must admit that I did not make this recipe.  My lovely mother did.  However, I harvested the pheasant.  I thought it would be fair if I posted this recipe, since I provided the main ingredient.  Pheasant is much like chicken, but it is richer and more tender.  I do not know if pheasant is an available ingredient to most of you, so you can substitute with chicken.
 
Pheasant Pot Pie
2 pheasant
4 cups water
1 medium onion, quartered
2 celery ribs, quartered
1 garlic clove, minced
2 T. lemon juice
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon Worchestershire sauce
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 T. minced, dried onion
1/2 teaspoon minced, dried garlic
1 package (10 oz.) frozen peas
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced carrots
Pastry for a 2 crust pie

Directions

In a large saucepan add water, uncooked pheasant, quartered onion, quartered celery, and minced garlic clove.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for an hour.

When finished let cool, and debone.  Strain broth, and discard vegetables.

Measure 3 1/2 cups broth into a large saucepan.  Add lemon juice, salt, pepper, worchestershire sauce, and nutmeg.  Remove 1/2 cup, and stir in flour.  Bring broth in saucepan to a boil. 

Add flour mixture, and boil for one minute, or until thick and bubbly.  Mix in pheasant, dried onion, dried garlic, peas, and carrots, mix well.

Preheat oven to 425*.


Spoon pheasant into a 9 by 13 baking dish.  Roll pastry to fit dish, placing it over pheasant mixture and sealing edges over dish.  Cut small steam vents in crust and bake for 35 to 40 minutes.  Enjoy!

I enjoyed this dish greatly.  I hope that your family does as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment