Monday, August 25, 2014

Carrot Cake

Hello everyone!  We all know how hard it is to get kids to eat vegetables.  I have found another recipe that disguises vegetables, and kids love it.  Well, my little brother does anyway.  So does my dad.  Actually, carrot cake is his favorite cake.  This one is not a spice filled as some other recipes, however, the spices can definitely be tasted.  My mom thought it could be more carroty, but she loves her veggies.



Carrot Cake

1 lb. shredded carrots
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cloves
a dash ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 large eggs, room temp
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup vegetable oil

Frosting

8 oz. cream cheese
5 T. unsalted butter, softened
1 T. sour cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups powdered sugar


Directions


Preheat oven to 350*.

Grease pan.

Grate carrots.

Combine dry ingredients.

Whisk together eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugars.  Add dry ingredients.  Stir in carrots. 

Bake cake for 35 to 40 minutes, rotating halfway through, or until done.  Cool.

Combine cream cheese, butter, sour cream, and vanilla until smooth.  Add powdered sugar and process until smooth.  Refrigerate until needed.

Once cake has completely cooled, frost.  Enjoy!



My family heartily enjoyed this cake!  My little brother kept on coming back for more!  I think my favorite part of the cake was the cream cheese frosting, but that is only because spice cake is not my favorite.  My hope is that you and your families will enjoy this veggie filled cake, and will continue to come back for more recipes!

1 comment:

  1. My Dad's favorite cake is carrot too. ~Abby

    ReplyDelete