Monday, May 12, 2014

Rhubarb Cake

We have so much rhubarb...what do I DO with it all???  I am extremely open to suggestions!  Do any of you have family recipes that you want to share?  My grandma said that she used to make this cake a lot when my mom was little, and wanted me to try it.  It is very yummy! 



Vermont Rhubarb Cake

2 cups chopped fresh rhubarb (I think it could have used more)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 egg
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup raw sugar


Directions

Preheat oven to 350*.

Grease 9x13 pan and set aside.

Sprinkle rhubarb with 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup flour; set aside.

Cream butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar.  Stir in egg and beat well.

Sift twice 2 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, and salt.  Add to butter mixture.

Add milk and vanilla; mix well.  Stir in rhubarb mixture.  Pour batter into pan and sprinkle with half cup raw sugar.  Bake for 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment