Friday, June 27, 2014

Lemon Meringue Pie

Hello, guys! This week I am posting a little late, sorry. We have had VBS all week, and I have been really busy and tired! 
One of my dad's favorite desserts for Father's Day is lemon meringue pie. I made it for him for the first time ever this year, and, although it was slightly runny, it turned out really good! This pie is everything you are looking for in a lemon meringue pie. Tart, lemony, and delicious. Yumm!! 


                                   Lemon Meringue Pie

                           1 9-in. pie crust, baked
                           1 cup sugar
                           1 cup boiling water
                           3 Tablespoons cornstarch
                           4 egg yolks
                           1/2 cup lemon juice
                           2 tsp. lemon rinds (fresh is best!)
                           4 egg whites
                           2 Tablespoons sugar
                           1/4 tsp. cream of tartar 

Combine sugar, water, and cornstarch in a saucepan and cook it until it is thick. You want it REALLY thick...mine wasn't thick enough I don't think, so make sure it is super thick.
Add in the egg yolks, lemon juice and lemon rinds. Save the egg whites for the meringue. Cool the filling, then pour it into the baked shell. 
For the meringue, beat the egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar on high until it forms stiff peaks. Spoon it over the filling and bake for 15 minutes, or until the peaks are browned. Enjoy!

(I wish I could have a picture of a piece, but it was cut and eaten when I wasn't home! I promise, it's good anyway!) 

1 comment:

  1. I have never had it ,but, I have heard wonderful things about it. Does it really taste good with lemon rinds? ~Abby

    ReplyDelete