Friday, June 6, 2014

Rolo Brownies

Hey, everybody! The recipe I'm going to share with you is quite delicious. It all started when my friend gave me a rather large bag of Rolos.  I am quite fond of Rolos, so I was delighted. It was around that time that I discovered my lactose intolerance. I still ate them, and shared them, but there were just too many. I then had the idea to make Rolo brownies. They were quite good, and my family really enjoyed them. I do want to warn you...the caramel in the Rolos gets rather chewy, but they were still really good. The caramel frosting added the perfect touch to them.

The way I made these was rather strange. I was hoping to be able to use a single brownie recipe for the whole thing, but it wan't enough. I ended up using a brownie mix for the top layer. It saved ingredients, and it also saved a lot of time. You could probably double the brownie batter recipe, and it would still work. Any way you do it, it should turn out fine.

I hope you enjoy, and Happy Baking!



                       
                               Rolo Brownies
Brownies:
             1 cup butter, melted
             1 1/2 cups sugar
             1 Tablespoon vanilla
             4 eggs
             1/4 cup milk
             1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
             1 cup cocoa powder
             1 tsp. salt
             1 Fudge brownie mix (with all of the ingredients required)
             30-35 Rolos

Frosting:
             1/2 cup butter
             1/2 cup brown sugar
             1/4 cup milk
             1/2 tsp. vanilla
             1 3/4 cup powdered sugar


Preheat the oven to 350*. Spray a 9x13 cake pan with non-stick cooking spray.

In a large bowl, combine the butter, sugar, vanilla, and eggs. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder and salt. Gradually add it to the wet ingredients, and mix until all of the ingredients are incorporated. (The batter will be thick) Prepare the brownie mix according to the package directions. It's now time to put the brownies together!

Spread the first batter on the bottom of the pan, then layer the Rolos on top. Pour the second brownie layer over the Rolos, and bake for about 1 hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean. (There may be some chocolate from the melted Rolos) Set aside to cool.

Meanwhile, prepare the icing. In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the butter. Add the brown sugar and vanilla, and gradually bring it to a boil. Boil for two minutes, stirring constantly. Carefully add the milk and return it to a boil. Make sure you stir it constantly, or it will burn to the bottom and harden. Once it reaches a boil, remove it from the heat and add the powdered sugar. Add a little more milk if it is too thick, or more powdered sugar if it isn't thick enough.

Spread the icing on the cooled brownies, and enjoy! So yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment