Friday, March 21, 2014

Strawberry Lemonade Poke Cake

Hello, everyone! I found this recipe at No. 2 Pencil, and I knew I had to try it. Of course, mine doesn't look as good as the original, ( I think my whipped cream was a little too thin still) but it tasted delicious. This is a definite must-have. I hope you enjoy it!! :) 


Strawberry Lemonade Poke Cake

                   Cake:                                                
                                1 box yellow cake mix
                                1/2 cup oil
                                3 eggs
                                1 cup lemonade
                                zest from 2 lemons
                                    
                    Sauce:
                               1 carton strawberries (1 lb.) 
                               juice from one lemon
                               1/4 cup sugar
                               1 jar lemon curd (1o oz.)
                               1/8-1/4 cup lemonade

                    Whipped cream:
                         2 cups heavy whipping cream
                         1/4 cup sugar
                         1 tsp. vanilla 

Slice the strawberries and put them into a medium bowl. Mix in the lemon juice and sugar. Let it sit in the refrigerator for a few hours. Meanwhile, prepare the cake. 

Preheat the oven to 325*, or whatever your box mix says to do for a 13x9 glass pan.
Grease the bottom of a glass 13x9 pan and set aside. 
Prepare the cake mix as directed, substituting lemonade for the water, and adding the lemon zest. Bake as directed on the package. Set the cake aside to cool. 

Take your strawberry mixture out of the refrigerator and strain the juice into a small bowl. Set aside the strawberries. Mix the lemon curd in with the juice. I ended up using a hand blender, because of the chunks. Add lemonade until it is a pouring consistency. 

Poke holes in the top of the cooled cake with a straw or wooden spoon handle. Pour the juice over the top, making sure the juice soaks into the holes on the cake, then place the strawberries on top of the cake. 

Whip the cream, sugar and vanilla together until it is thick. (Mine was too runny, so make sure it is whipped well.) Spread it over the cake. Refrigerate for a few hours, slice and enjoy! This gets better and better as it sits, because the cake soaks up the juices. It didn't really last that long at my house, though. I hope you make it and let us know how it turned out!! 


I love the "Nailed it" pictures that people do with flopped projects...I made this picture with the first slice I took out, because I didn't get a good angle on it and it got kinda' mangled...I did a little more to it to make it fit the picture. You can see from this that my icing was a little too runny...Thankfully, the rest of the cake didn't turn out like this! :) 


         

3 comments:

  1. Did you save me a piece? Send it in a "fragile" package through the mail. LOL :) ~Abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha sorry Abby...it's all gone... :) <3

      Delete
    2. It's Okay. I forgive you. LOL :) <3

      Delete